The ScaleTrains.com Tier 4 GEVo diesel locomotive is the first model in HO scale and is officially licensed by GE. We worked closely with GE Transportation to ensure every dimension and detail of this modern locomotive is as accurate as possible.
Road Number Specific ScaleTrains
Canadian National ET44AC
3rd run road numbers (announced August 2018): 3039, 3049, 3061 and 3095
2nd run road numbers (announced October 2017): 3100 and 3126
1st run road numbers (announced January 2017): 3045, 3062, 3068, and 3104
- Era: series 3036-3126, built 2016
- Current production engine cab (long hood) with angled exhaust compartment roofline
4th run road numbers (announced August 2019): 3002, 3029
2nd run road numbers (announced October 2017): 3013 and 3034
1st run road numbers (announced January 2017): 3000 and 3019
- Era: series 3000-3035, built 2015
- Early production engine cab (long hood) with squared exhaust compartment roofline
All Canadian National road numbers also include
- Front and rear operating red LED DPU marker lights*
- Front and rear deck-mounted operating LED ditch lights*
- Canadian-style walkways with etched metal see-through slotted grating
- See-through Canadian-style “slotted” stepwell steps
- Rear Canadian “rock pilot”
- Cab roof antenna domes
- Narrow front and rear end handrail profile
- Nose door without window
- Single fuel fill per side
- Trucolor Paint: TCP-35 CN Red/Orange
Rivet Counter Tier 4 GEVo ET44 Locomotives Also Feature
- Several different road numbers
- Directional LED headlights
- Printed and LED lighted number boards
- See through round-hole stepwell steps (unless noted)
- Tread plate on walkways
- Nose headlight (unless noted)
- Detailed cab interior with separate floor, rear wall, seats, control stand, and crossing grade camera
- Tinted cab side windows
- Etched metal see-through dynamic brake intake grilles with blower motors visible inside
- See-through dynamic brake exhaust
- Lost wax brass cast Nathan AirChime K5HLR2 horn mounted on engine cab roof (unless noted)
- Separate exhaust stack
- 40 individually applied etched metal see-through radiator intake and exhaust grilles on sides and top of radiator compartment
- Accurately profiled frame with separate air lines and traction motor cables
- 5,300 gallon fuel tank with external waste retention tank (unless noted)
- Fuel tank mounted electronic bell
- Factory-applied wire grab irons, snowplow, spare knuckles, trainline hoses, 3-hose MU clusters, uncoupling levers, windshield wipers, mirrors, sunshades, air tanks, fuel tank mounted electronic bell, brake wheel and more
- Semi-scale coupler buffer equipped with ScaleTrains.com durable metal semi-scale E Type knuckle couplers
- GE Hi-Ad trucks with separately applied brake cylinders, air plumbing, and rotating axle bearing caps (unless noted)
- All-wheel drive
- All-wheel electrical pick-up
- Motor with 5-pole skew wound armature
- Dual flywheels
- Printing and lettering legible under magnification
- Operates on Code 70, 83, and 100 rail
- Packaging safely stores model
- Minimum Radius: 18”
- Recommended Radius: 22”
DCC & sound equipped locomotives also feature:
- ESU-LokSound 5 decoder with “Full Throttle”
- Dual cube-type speakers
- Accurate GEVO-12 prime mover and auxiliary sounds, horn, bell, and more
- ESU designed PowerPak with two (2) super capacitors
- Operates on both DC and DCC layouts*
DCC & sound ready locomotives also feature:
- Operate using DC
- DCC ready with 21-pin connector
* Not all sound and lighting functions on DCC and sound equipped versions are operable using DC
Introduced in 2012, General Electric's Tier 4 GEVo Series represents the latest in diesel-electric locomotive technology. The GE Tier 4 GEVo is designed to meet increasingly stringent Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) emissions regulations.
The EPA “Tier” emissions standards are a series, or Tiers, of allowable emissions levels based upon a locomotives’ date of manufacture. The highest and most stringent tier level, Tier 4, sets maximum allowable NOx and hydrocarbon emissions levels for locomotives built for domestic use 2015 onward.
While similar in appearance to previous GE GEVo designs, the Tier 4 models featured a longer frame compared to their predecessors. This allows for a larger radiator “cab” (GE refers to the various sections of the long hood as “cabs”), and a "hump" over the engine cab for advanced exhaust treatment equipment.
Initially, a boxy housing filled the entire roofline on the blue-painted field test/demonstrator units. Due to changes in treatment equipment and clearance issues, the "hump" would decrease in size and shape into a boxy compartment around the exhaust on initial production units. This culminated in an angled compartment surrounding the exhaust manifold on the latest production versions (2016+).
Despite boxier engine cab rooflines and a radically styled radiator cab, the basic Tier 4 design shares a family appearance with GE safety cab-equipped units going back to the DASH-9s of the 1990s. It even includes the same 12-cylinder GEVo-12 series prime mover and 4,400hp as its predecessor model.
The Tier 4 units have proven to be popular with the major railroads including BNSF Railway, Canadian National, CSX Transportation, Kansas City Southern, Norfolk Southern, and Union Pacific. While GE has settled on a basic carbody design to keep production costs down, there are notable variations and detail differences due to customer specifications.
With many units built for railroads across the US and in Canada, the Tier 4 GEVo can be seen operating nationwide in a variety of assignments.
The HO Scale Tier 4 GEVo is made under trademark license from General Electric Transportation.
Third Production Run
DC/DCC Ready Retail: $189.99
Our selling price: $154.99
ESU-LokSound DCC & Sound Factory Installed
Our selling price: $234.99
Fourth Production Run
DC/DCC Ready Retail: $199.99
Our selling price: $159.99
ESU-LokSound DCC & Sound Factory Installed
Our selling price: $249.99
For the latest delivery date information, visit our new product delivery page.