- Burnish: to wipe or polish a surface clean
- Dry Brush: a technique used to finish any surface in an uneven way, creating irregularity associated with aged materials
- Fade: to lose brightness/vividness of color
- Stippling: the process of painting with numerous dots or specs
- Underpinning: a way to add depth to the light, medium and dark colors
- Wash: a semi-transparent layer of colors
- Weather: to wear away or change the appearance or texture of something through exposure to the elements
We will spray a dullcoat across the locomotive, as the weathering application will need something to grip to. Since the factory finish of this model is a satin finish out of the box, getting a flat surface allows the washes to coat more evenly. While it’s drying, look up the app appropriate prototype photos of the locomotive in either your era or location. The 974 was found to be dirty and with a gray air conditioning box on the conductor’s side 2014, so this is the appearance that we’re going to go for.