Era: Early 1970s to mid-1990s
Road Number Specific ScaleTrains
- All-new model
- 24-C-GTE Class insulated body
- 24,000-gallon capacity
- Welded seams
- Intricate electrical and water plumbing
- Factory-applied air tank, brake cylinder, and control valve
- Brake beam
- Handbrake housing with finely detailed wheel and chain
- Commonwealth 3-axle trucks with SKF bearings
- 36” machined metal wheels
- Operating rear tender LED light
- 2-function DCC programmable decoder
- Operate using DC and DCC
All Rivet Counter N Rolling Stock Feature
- Fully assembled
- Factory-applied multiple unit (MU) hoses, coupler cut levers, and trainline hoses
- Body-mounted semi-scale Type E knuckle couplers
- Weighted above Industry standards
- Operates on Code 55 and 70 rail
- Printing and lettering legible even under magnification
- Color matched to Tru-Color paint colors whenever possible
- Packaging safely stores model
- Minimum radius: 9 ¾”
Following the retirement of the Union Pacific GTEL 8,500 Horsepower “Big Blow” Super Turbines in the 1968-70 timeframe, the unique 23-C-GTE and 24-C-GTE fuel tenders were saved. They were repurposed for various duties around the UP system including water or fuel oil storage and for assignment to derrick outfits. While most faded into obscurity behind backshops and were eventually scrapped, several were destined for bigger things.
Tender 24-GTE-13 was renumbered to UP 907853 upon its retirement from GTEL service. Its days as a mundane water storage tank were short as it was selected for operation behind steam excursions in 1973.
Repainted solid black with billboard “Union Pacific” lettering, it regularly operated behind FEF #8444 including the Expo ’74 train in July of 1974. In April 1977, UP 907853 operated with Southern Pacific #4449 on the Freedom Train from Birmingham, AL to Seattle, WA. Ultimately, it was retired in 1984 and eventually donated to the Illinois Railroad Museum in 1992. It was united in black paint with preserved UP GTEL #18 and was eventually repainted as it appears today.
Our Selling Price: $37.99
To keep track of delivery, visit our ETA page.