The ScaleTrains.com Tier 4 GEVo diesel locomotive is a first in N Scale and is officially licensed by GE. We worked closely with GE Transportation to ensure every dimension and detail of this modern locomotive is as accurate as possible.
Road Number Specific ScaleTrains
Road number 2017
- Current production engine cab (long hood) with angled exhaust compartment roofline and separate exhaust stack
- Front deck-mounted operating alternating ditch lights
- LSL indicator light details on cab sides (non-operating)
- Battery charging receptacle details on front and rear pilots
- Sill-mounted brake stick holder detail
- Sill-mounted tow chain detail
- Auxiliary safety latch details on cab sub-base compartment doors
- Cab roof antenna dome
- GE Hi-Ad trucks with separately applied brake cylinders, air plumbing,
- Nose door with window
- Cab interior
- Tinted cab side windows
- Nathan AirChime K5HLR2 horn mounted on engine cab roof
- 5,300 gallon fuel tank with external waste retention tank
- Dual fuel fills per side with rear fill “blanked”
- Six (6) different road numbers
- Directional LED headlights
- Printed and LED lighted number boards
- Tread plate on walkways
- Factory-applied wire grab irons, snowplow, spare knuckles, trainline hoses, 3-hose MU clusters, uncoupling levers, windshield wipers, mirrors, sunshades, air tanks, brake wheel and more.
- Body mounted ScaleTrains.com plastic semi-scale E Type knuckle couplers
- All-wheel drive
- All-wheel electrical pick-up
- Dual flywheels
- Motor with 5-pole skew wound armature
- Printing and lettering legible under magnification
- Operates on Code 55, and 80 rail
- Durable packaging safely stores model
- Minimum Radius: 9 ¾”
- Recommended Radius: 11”
DCC & sound equipped locomotives also feature
- ESU-LokSound Next18 Select Micro DCC and sound decoder with “Full Throttle”
- “Sugar cube” type speaker
- Accurate GEVO-12 prime mover and auxiliary sounds, horn, bell, and more
- Operates on both DC and DCC layouts
DCC & sound ready locomotives also feature
- DCC ready with Next18 connector
- Operates on DC layouts
Introduced in 2012, General Electric's Tier 4 GEVo Series represents the latest in diesel-electric locomotive technology. The GE Tier 4 GEVo is designed to meet increasingly stringent Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) emissions regulations.
The EPA “Tier” emissions standards are a series, or Tiers, of allowable emissions levels based upon a locomotives’ date of manufacture. The highest and most stringent tier level, Tier 4, sets maximum allowable NOx and hydrocarbon emissions levels for locomotives built for domestic use 2015 onward.
While similar in appearance to previous GE GEVo designs, the Tier 4 models featured a longer frame compared to their predecessors. This allows for a larger radiator “cab” (GE refers to the various sections of the long hood as “cabs”), and a "hump" over the engine cab for advanced exhaust treatment equipment.
Initially, a boxy housing filled the entire roofline on the blue-painted field test/demonstrator units. Due to changes in treatment equipment and clearance issues, the "hump" would decrease in size and shape into a boxy compartment around the exhaust on initial production units. This culminated in an angled compartment surrounding the exhaust manifold on the latest production versions (2016+).
Despite boxier engine cab rooflines and a radically styled radiator cab, the basic Tier 4 design shares a family appearance with GE safety cab-equipped units going back to the DASH-9s of the 1990s. It even includes the same 12-cylinder GEVo-12 series prime mover and 4,400hp as its predecessor model.
The Tier 4 units have proven to be popular with the major railroads including BNSF Railway, Canadian National, CSX Transportation, Norfolk Southern, and Union Pacific. While GE has settled on a basic carbody design to keep production costs down, there are notable variations and detail differences due to customer specifications.
With many units built for railroads across the US and in Canada, the Tier 4 GEVo can be seen operating nationwide in a variety of assignments.
The N Scale Tier 4 GEVo is made under trademark license from General Electric Transportation.