The ScaleTrains.com Tier 4 GEVo diesel locomotive is officially licensed by GE. We worked closely with GE Transportation to ensure every dimension and detail of this modern locomotive is as accurate as possible.
Road Number Specific ScaleTrains
- Former GECX Demonstrator series GECX 2026 and 2027 respectively
- Early pre-production engine cab (long hood) roofline modified to early production engine cab (long hood) with squared exhaust compartment roofline
- Horns - Nathan Airchime K3HL horn on engine cab roof, and recessed dual-chime horns on right rear of radiator “wings”
- Only horn in direction of travel is played (DCC & sound equipped only)
- Battery charging receptacle details on front and rear pilots
- Narrow front and rear end handrail profile
- Nose door with window
- Cab roof antenna dome
- Dual fuel fills per side
Rivet Counter Tier 4 GEVo ET44 Locomotives Also Feature
- Several different road numbers
- Front deck-mounted operating LED ditch lights
- Directional LED headlights
- Printed and LED lighted number boards
- Tread plate on walkways
- Factory-applied wire grab irons, snowplow, trainline hoses, 3-hose MU clusters, MU cable, uncoupling levers, windshield wipers, mirrors, sunshades, air tanks, fuel tank mounted electronic bell, brake wheel, exhaust stack, and more
- Nathan AirChime K5HLR2 horn mounted on engine cab roof (unless noted)
- Detailed cab interior
- Tinted cab side windows
- Accurately profiled frame with separately applied plumbing and cabling
- 5,300 gallon fuel tank with external waste retention tank (unless noted)
- GE Hi-Ad trucks with separately applied brake cylinders, air plumbing, and axle bearing caps (unless noted)
- Body mounted plastic semi-scale E Type knuckle couplers
- Motor with 5-pole skew wound armature
- Dual flywheels
- All-wheel drive
- All-wheel electrical pick-up
- Printing and lettering legible under magnification
- Operates on Code 55, and 80 rail
- Durable packaging safely stores model
- Minimum Radius: 9 ¾”
- Recommended Radius: 11”
DCC & sound equipped locomotives also feature
- ESU-LokSound Next18 Select Micro DCC and sound decoder with “Full Throttle”
- “Sugar cube” type speaker
- Accurate GEVO-12 prime mover and auxiliary sounds, horn, bell, and more
- Operates on both DC and DCC layouts
DCC equipped locomotives also feature
- Next18 motor only decoder
DCC & sound ready locomotives also feature
- DCC ready with Next18 connector
- Operates on DC layouts
Introduced in 2012, General Electric's Tier 4 GEVo Series represents the latest in diesel-electric locomotive technology. The GE Tier 4 GEVo is designed to meet increasingly stringent Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) emissions regulations.
The EPA “Tier” emissions standards are a series, or Tiers, of allowable emissions levels based upon a locomotives’ date of manufacture. The highest and most stringent tier level, Tier 4, sets maximum allowable NOx and hydrocarbon emissions levels for locomotives built for domestic use 2015 onward.
While similar in appearance to previous GE GEVo designs, the Tier 4 models featured a longer frame compared to their predecessors. This allows for a larger radiator “cab” (GE refers to the various sections of the long hood as “cabs”), and a "hump" over the engine cab for advanced exhaust treatment equipment.
Initially, a boxy housing filled the entire roofline on the blue-painted field test/demonstrator units. Due to changes in treatment equipment and clearance issues, the "hump" would decrease in size and shape into a boxy compartment around the exhaust on initial production units. This culminated in an angled compartment surrounding the exhaust manifold on the latest production versions (2016+).
Despite boxier engine cab rooflines and a radically styled radiator cab, the basic Tier 4 design shares a family appearance with GE safety cab-equipped units going back to the DASH-9s of the 1990s. It even includes the same 12-cylinder GEVo-12 series prime mover and 4,400hp as its predecessor model.
The Tier 4 units have proven to be popular with the major railroads including BNSF Railway, Canadian National, CSX Transportation, Norfolk Southern, and Union Pacific. While GE has settled on a basic carbody design to keep production costs down, there are notable variations and detail differences due to customer specifications.
With many units built for railroads across the US and in Canada, the Tier 4 GEVo can be seen operating nationwide in a variety of assignments.
The HO Scale Tier 4 GEVo is made under trademark license from General Electric Transportation.
Second Production Run
DCC Ready – Operates on DC
Our selling price: $129.99
ESU DCC Next 18 Decoder Factory Installed
Our selling price: $164.99
ESU-LokSound DCC & Sound Factory Installed
Our selling price: $224.99