This product is refurbished and the price reflects a 10% savings from our regular selling price. Some models have minor cosmetic blemishes, which are sold as is on the blemishes or possible damaged packaging. All models are mechanically sound and the warranty is still applicable.
The ScaleTrains.com Tier 4 GEVo diesel locomotive is the first model in HO scale and is officially licensed by GE. We worked closely with GE Transportation to ensure every dimension and detail of this modern locomotive is as accurate as possible.
Road Number Specific ScaleTrains
GECX Pre-Production/Field Test Demonstrator ET44AC
1st run road numbers (announced January 2017): 2022, 2023, 2024
- Era: series 2020-2024, built 2013
- Traveled throughout North America on several railroads; spent notable time on the UP
- Cab roof antenna domes
- Nose door without window
- Dual fuel fills per side with rear fill “blanked”
1st run road numbers (announced January 2017): series 2029, 2032, 2039
- Era: 2025-2044, built 2014
- Traveled throughout North America on several railroads; spent notable time on the BNSF
- Cab roof PTC antenna farm array
- Dual fuel fills per side
2nd run road number (announced October 2017): 2015
- Era: series 2014-15, built 2015
- Unique "split" horns with horns on cab roof (only versions so equipped),
and horns recessed in right rear radiator wing
- Full-length fuel tank with internal waste tank (different from later demo
and production units)
All GECX road numbers also include
- Early pre-production engine cab (long hood) roofline
- Front deck-mounted operating ditch lights
- Lost wax brass cast dual horn sets - Nathan Airchime K3HL horn on engine cab roof and recessed dual-chime horns on right rear of radiator “wings”
- Battery charging receptacle details on front and rear pilots
- GE Hi-Ad trucks with separately applied brake cylinders, air plumbing, and rotating axle bearing caps
- See through round-hole stepwell steps
- Narrow front and rear end handrail profile
Rivet Counter Tier 4 GEVo ET44 Locomotives Also Feature
- Six (6) different road numbers
- Directional LED headlights
- Printed and LED lighted number boards
- Tread plate on walkways
- Detailed cab interior with separate floor, rear wall, seats, control stand, and crossing grade camera
- Tinted cab side windows
- Etched metal see-through dynamic brake intake grilles with blower motors visible inside
- See-through dynamic brake exhaust
- Separate exhaust stack
- 40 individually applied etched metal see-through radiator intake and exhaust grilles on sides and top of radiator compartment
- Accurately profiled frame with separately applied plumbing and cabling
- 5,300 gallon fuel tank with external waste retention tank
- Factory-applied wire grab irons, snowplow, spare knuckles, trainline hoses, 3-hose MU clusters, uncoupling levers, windshield wipers, mirrors, sunshades, air tanks, fuel tank mounted electronic bell, brake wheel and more.
- Semi-scale coupler buffer equipped with ScaleTrains.com durable metal semi-scale E Type knuckle couplers
- All-wheel drive
- All-wheel electrical pick-up
- Dual flywheels
- Motor with 5-pole skew wound armature
- Printing and lettering legible under magnification
- Operates on Code 70, 83, and 100 rail
- Packaging safely stores model
- Minimum Radius: 18”
- Recommended Radius: 22”
DCC & sound equipped locomotives also feature:
- ESU-LokSound Select 4.0 decoder with “Full Throttle”
- Dual cube-type speakers
- Accurate GEVO-12 prime mover and auxiliary sounds, horn, bell, and more
- ESU PowerPack with two super capacitors
- Operates on both DC and DCC layouts*
DCC & sound ready locomotives also feature:
- DCC ready with 21-pin connector
* Not all sound and lighting functions on DCC and sound equipped versions are operable using DC
Introduced in 2012, General Electric's Tier 4 GEVo Series represents the latest in diesel-electric locomotive technology. The GE Tier 4 GEVo is designed to meet increasingly stringent Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) emissions regulations.
The EPA “Tier” emissions standards are a series, or Tiers, of allowable emissions levels based upon a locomotives’ date of manufacture. The highest and most stringent tier level, Tier 4, sets maximum allowable NOx and hydrocarbon emissions levels for locomotives built for domestic use 2015 onward.
While similar in appearance to previous GE GEVo designs, the Tier 4 models featured a longer frame compared to their predecessors. This allows for a larger radiator “cab” (GE refers to the various sections of the long hood as “cabs”), and a "hump" over the engine cab for advanced exhaust treatment equipment.
Initially, a boxy housing filled the entire roofline on the blue-painted field test/demonstrator units. Due to changes in treatment equipment and clearance issues, the "hump" would decrease in size and shape into a boxy compartment around the exhaust on initial production units. This culminated in an angled compartment surrounding the exhaust manifold on the latest production versions (2016+).
Despite boxier engine cab rooflines and a radically styled radiator cab, the basic Tier 4 design shares a family appearance with GE safety cab-equipped units going back to the DASH-9s of the 1990s. It even includes the same 12-cylinder GEVo-12 series prime mover and 4,400hp as its predecessor model.
The Tier 4 units have proven to be popular with the major railroads including BNSF Railway, Canadian National, CSX Transportation, Norfolk Southern, and Union Pacific. While GE has settled on a basic carbody design to keep production costs down, there are notable variations and detail differences due to customer specifications.
With many units built for railroads across the US and in Canada, the Tier 4 GEVo can be seen operating nationwide in a variety of assignments.
The HO Scale Tier 4 GEVo is made under trademark license from General Electric Transportation.
Second Production Run
DCC Ready – Operates on DC
Our selling price: $149.99
DCC & Sound Factory Installed
Our selling price: $229.99
IMPORTANT: Be sure to place separate orders for in-stock first run locomotives and second run preorders